Tuesday, September 6

Drive me to my Knees

These last few weeks, God has really called to my attention the importance of prayer. 


God has answered prayer in amazing ways in my life recently and I am incredibly thankful. 


Before beginning school, I was feeling spiritually dry and praying consistently for a renewed spirit and consistency in His Word. And He has blessed through these prayers. School is going well and I have a great group of students who genuinely want to learn. Second year is SO much better than first as far as planning and I’ve been able to focus more on improving and creating more interactive activities to reinforce learning. Student attitudes are better this year and there is a potential for positive leadership amongst the students.  


I gave 2 out of 3 Open House presentations completely in Spanish on Friday, without having really planned out exactly what I wanted to say. I had the kids make short videos for their parents talking about what class is like. A few of them turned out really funny.


Rafa got a job during his “summer” vacation time. Incredible answer to prayer. He is working 60 hours a week but enjoys what he’s doing and is no longer bored. His vacation continues through October until he goes back to the University to study again. 


As teachers, we are praying a lot for the school and its ministries. We meet weekly before school to pray over Fusion, which officially began last Friday with a Nerd Night Bash. Super fun! I’m helping out more with music this year and could use your prayers as we choose songs and practice. 


In addition to answering prayer, God continues to drive me to my knees when bad news hits. Martina, who cleans the high school, received news on Friday that her son was caught in the line of fire while arriving to work that night and was killed. He worked in a barrio (really poor housing area) and these areas are really dangerous at night with gangs or drug deals, etc. Please keep the family in your prayers as they grieve during this time.


Last week I was able to travel to a wedding in Carupano, where Rafa’s family lives. We went with his sister and her husband, taking an overnight bus. It was a whirlwind trip, arriving on Saturday morning, beach in the afternoon, and wedding that night only to turn around and leave again Sunday morning. Our bus broke down 2 times and hit major traffic in one city so a normally 7 hour ride took 13 hours. We arrived too late to take a bus or metro back home and I had not brought enough cash for the ridiculous taxi prices from the terminal. So we ended up heading to Rafa’s sister’s apartment for the night, knowing I had school the next morning. We woke up super early after only 3 hours of sleep, took 2 buses back into my part of town, and headed to school 10 minutes before devotions with my pillow in hand. It was a little crazy and not an event I’d like to repeat. 


I’ll post some Nerd Night Bash pics soon.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't the second year so much easier!? i'm so glad your students are so great this year! Praying for you always dear friend.

    ReplyDelete