Tuesday, February 5

January days

The stories, struggles, and successes of this last month are so numerous I’m not sure where to start. Rather than write out a monologue with all its proper transitions, I think I’ll just bullet them all. Here goes!


  • Story: Flying back to Caracas was an almost disaster. Many of you know we flew back with 3 separate itineraries and 5 flights. We had 2 delayed flights and landed twice with just an hour and a half to de-board, pass through immigration, get luggage, check in, go through security, eat something, and get to the gate. So hectic! Our last flight we made it to the counter 45 minutes before the flight left and barely got on the plane. Lady said no, I argued, we were called liars, and finally we were given standby status and later allowed to board. Crazy but we did make it home!
  • Struggle: We came back home to a broken gate, broken washing machine, and no internet. Internet finally got fixed just a week ago and man we are happy.
  • Struggle: I really have difficulty mentally managing 7 classes within a week. I’m making lots of mistakes again and feel like I’m in a constant state of catch up. I come home exhausted and have zero energy to cook, clean, do laundry, etc. I’m sure many of you can relate.
  • Struggle: We have been having car trouble since we got back...like the 'can’t find the solution, keep spending money and it’s still not fixed' kind. No fun. 
  • Success: English club at the University has officially begun its new semester. We’re smaller than normal with about 6 attending but conversations have been good. Last week, we discussed the death penalty which led to neat conversations about forgiveness, justice, and God’s truth. 
  • Success: An English club attendee from our first year gave a testimony in church on Sunday about how she is growing in the Lord and reading God’s Word daily. She became a Christian last year and it’s exciting to see her growing. 
  • Struggle: My students still feel overwhelmed with school and our new schedule (I totally get it) and are now putting mediocre effort in their homework and class. It’s difficult to overcome and as teachers we’re not on the same page about how much homework we should be assigning. 
  • Success: I am working at making changes in the classroom to better meet the needs of my students. In one of my classes we are trying the “flipped” classroom. It’s currently a disaster and they hate it, but one student who has done nothing in class all year, is now actually doing her homework and trying. 
  • Success: My niece Arlet is cuter than ever and growing so quickly. We have gotten to visit her just about every week lately. 
I’ll try and upload some pics later on. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that's both educative and entertaining,
    and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something
    which too few folks are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i'm very happy that I found this during my hunt for something concerning this.
    Also visit my page ; Excellent Benefits

    ReplyDelete