Thursday, July 7

Stateside

Today marks the halfway point: 3 weeks here, 3 more weeks to go. 


Unfortunately, it hasn’t been the 6 weeks of vacation I was thinking. A few days before I left I developed a fever. Being the non-stop, push through it person that I am, I continued to function as normal surviving on Tylenol to keep the fever down. I made it back to Ohio, tired, run-down, and still feverish. I’d had a test done in Venezuela right before leaving that said I had a parasite. I figured that explained the fever. I spent several days at home with a fever and only started to feel better about a week after being home. Since then, I found out I do not have a parasite and am still waiting on blood test results for mono or hepatitis. The doctor thinks maybe a mild case of mono. Either way, I’m so thankful that I’m feeling better.


Now that I’m feeling better I hope to spend much of my time seeing friends, spending time with family, and babysitting whenever possible.


Being back has made me so thankful for supportive parents who put God’s plans for me above their own wishes for where I am, for amazing friends and the privilege to be a part of Amanda’s wedding last weekend, and being surrounded by people who love and care about me and want to know about what God’s doing in Caracas, Venezuela. It’s a blessing to be here for these 6 weeks and be a part of their lives again.


I leave Ohio again on July28th but first head to Trinidad and Tobago for the wedding of my boyfriend’s brother, whose fiance, an American missionary in Venezuela, has become a good friend. It’s like a vacation within a vacation...awesome! Then on August 2nd I head back to Venezuela to start a new school year...so excited!!


I wanted to leave you with some prayer requests since I know many of you are faithful in keeping me in your prayers. It’s so greatly appreciated!


~Creativity and better classroom management this year. While I am so thankful for a full set of lessons plans, now it’s time to improve.


~New ways to reach my students who struggle with math as well as challenge those who are strong in math.


~Continued opportunities to share the gospel. We are beginning 6 week Bible studies during lunch. Pray for participation and that the gospel would be proclaimed clearly.


~Wisdom in deciding what ministries to get involved in. Last year I got my feet wet and did just about everything. This year I need to just pick a few and invest. This is difficult in a school so small that everyone’s involvement is a necessity. There’s a lot of pressure to be involved but I want to be careful this year not to spread myself too thin that I can’t really invest. 


~Continued learning of Spanish and transition to Caracas. I love lots about this city but supposedly the “honeymoon” period will be ending this year. 


Thank you all for your support and involvement in my ministry. I couldn’t do it without you! 


Amanda’s Bachelorette Party

Erin’s lovely drawing of the bridal party

The beautiful bride!

Amazing fireworks!

Jameson Simons, my new buddy

Yep, I still play on the playground.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we were able to catch up and talk. You leave on my due date! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura:

    Great to see all the lives you have touched over the past year. I knew you would be a success!

    Bob Lonsinger

    ReplyDelete